6.07.2006

lily allen “alright, still” :: track by track

a little birdie sent me the album. and, now I present my track by track analysis of one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year.

.: smile :.
allen opens her album with the breezy smile (a track aimed at a loser ex – one she enjoys tormenting). the light airy sound belie the bitterness of the lyrics.


“…but, you were fucking that girl next door…whatchu do that for?”
.: knock ‘em out :.
this was the first lily allen track I heard. at the time she reminded me of a female mike skinner. easy, everyday delivery of lyrics that could be heard round any pub. a killer beat behind makes this a head bobber.


“no you can’t have my number – because I lost my phone.”
.: ldn :.
great old-time ska trumpet sample opens this track. another example of lily at her most easy natural best. half sung – half rapped ode to her hometown (London for the uninitiated).


“sun is in the sky. oh why – oh why would I want to be anywhere else?

.: everything’s just wonderful :.
things are going wrong all around her – but, she’s alright. having the time of her life, in fact! poppy tambourine and keyboard fill out the back of this tune.

“everything’s just wonderful. I’m having the time of my life.”
.: not big :.
every guy’s worst nightmare….breaking up with a girl. that girl getting famous…putting out a highly anticipated album…and, hearing a song where she’s telling everyone not only do you have a tiny dick – but, you were crap in bed, to boot. snap!


“i never wanted it to end up this way. but, you’ve only got yourself to blame…you’re not, you’re not clever. not big whatsoever!”
.: friday night :.
so you think the venom is saved for ex-boyfriend’s only? hardly. allen’s got words for stoopid females, too. this one tells the tale of some stoopid ho who gets all “female” on lily one Friday night in the club (getting the bouncer to search her and making her night a big hassle from beginning to end).


“test me and you’ll get a reaction. another drink and I’m ready for action. I don’t know who you think you are. but, making people scared won’t get you very far."
.: shame for you :.
with a smokey, bar-room flavour “shame for you” evokes thoughts of a 40s lounge singer. a cautionary tale…allen’s telling her adversary “don’t take me on” least she bring the pain! watch out!


“don’t try to deny because my fuse is ready to blow.”
.: littlest things :.
with a classical piano sample, this is the countless influence that has shown up on alright, still. another one about her and her boy – this time a longing, whistful remembrance of times past. easy to identify with these lyrics – allen’s just riffing on the simple things couples enjoy – no matter how “lame” they seem. but, after all is said and done – is this the end of our once happy couple? say it ain’t so!


“sometimes I wish we could just pretend – even if ony for one weekend.”
.: take what you take :.
heck yeah! bout time lily turns it out! complete with laser sample – this is THE dance track – just waiting for some producer to lay their talented remix hands on it. that laser sound reminds me of the beastie boys! and there ain’t nothing wrong with that!


“what the fuck do you know? just cuz you’re old and think you’re wise…”
.: friend of mine :.
a steady reggae beat keeps the time to this one. reminiscing of a friendship gone wrong. what happened? why is there so much sadness and loss in your music, lily? I love you best when you’re biting and witty – but, with that air of humour that makes you so cute. so cute – no one can hate for you cutting them down! more of that please!


“you’re no friend of mine. you’re just a waste of time.”
.: alfie :.
as a big sister, I sympathize with lily. and I know exactly what she’s doing. let me explain something about big sisters. we love our little brothers – and, always try to help them. but, we enjoy pissing them off – as much as they love pissing us off. so, calling out your little brother for drinking and wasting his life in the final track of your album – brilliant! well played, lily!


"oh little brother, please refrain from doing that – i’m trying to help you out. so can you stop being a twat. it’s time you and I sat down and had a little chat. and look me in the eyes and take off that stupid footie cap."

and, there you have it. the first album by miss lily allen.
a hit in my books - let's hope that blogger hype can translated into sales and make this girl the star she deserves to be.

mark it in your calendars, kiddies. alright, still lands in UK record stores july 11. [note] looking at a fall release in n. america, probably.....

scoosbeev,

previous lily allen posts:

No comments: